An online master’s degree in education is a major commitment to both your school and to its students. Whether you are an experienced teacher or new to the profession, a master’s degree in education can make you a much better teacher and boost the education outcomes of your students. Choose from many different specialties, such as early childhood, elementary, special ed, curriculum and instruction, teacher leadership and administration.
An advantage of most online programs is that you can complete the entire degree online, and continue to teach at the same time. This helps you to keep your skills sharp, and even to integrate what you are learning into your current teaching position.
- Drexel University: This university’s school of education is ranked among the best graduate schools, according to U.S. News and World Report in 2011. Drexel offers master’s degrees in education in special education, mathematics learning and teaching, human resource development, learning technologies, learning and curriculum, higher education, education administration, and global and international education.
- University of Phoenix: Offers master’s degrees in early childhood, elementary, secondary, special education, curriculum and instruction, teacher leadership, and administration. These programs will lead to teacher certification in some states. Your online degree will be enhanced by field experiences and a student-teaching component.
- Walden University: An online degree that focuses on boosting the success of teachers and students. A cutting edge curriculum connects its students with experts in education, as well as noted scholars and researchers. Focuses on teacher professionalism, cultural and linguistic diversity, supportive learning environments, and teaching as facilitation in learning.
- American Intercontinental University: Offers master’s degrees in technology, educational assessment/evaluation, instructional design, adult education, and leadership of educational organizations. These degrees are not designed to meet state educator licensing requirements but can help you gain licensure in some states.
- Ashford University: Study the areas that have the most influence over education: curricula, assessment, pedagogical theory, and principles of leadership. You will take core courses but also will choose a specialization such as child development, distance learning, early childhood education, assessment and measurement, and culturally responsive education.
- Kaplan University: Features master’s of education programs that are designed to advance your career particularly in postsecondary education. You will be prepared for a variety of careers including administration, academic affairs, admissions, and student services.
- South College: The educational department is committed to these core beliefs: that all students can learn; that work is both independent and collaborative; a commitment to inquiry; a commitment to social justice; a commitment to integrate technology; a commitment to think systematically ; and a commitment to communication. Their master’s program is a four quarter cohort program that will prepare you to be instructional leaders both in the classroom and in the entire school.
- Keiser University: Gives teachers and education administrators an intense study of theory and practice. Fosters independent learning and allows students to contribute intellectually to education. Areas include assessment/evaluation, diversity, curriculum design, and instructional technology.
- Grand Canyon University: GCU offers a very rigorous master’s in education in many areas. All of them will give you the skills that you need to educate a diverse student population in your classroom, or to work in educational administration. This school has a master’s in TESOL in its education curriculum, as well.
- American College of Education: This college offers an outstanding learning environment for educators who wish to further their education online. You will find a program here that fits your needs, whether you are a teacher, administrator or another education professional.